Thursday, 7 April 2016

BRANDED | Josie Maran




"She’s a supermodel, an actress and an eco-beauty entrepreneur. Josie Maran’s Argan-infused skincare and makeup collection uses a powerhouse of pure, plant-based ingredients to nourish your skin as they enhance your natural beauty. Travelling the world as a model, Josie sought out the world’s best natural products, such as Pure Argan Oil, which lies at the heart of each of her products. Every aspect, from the packaging to the selection of makeup shades, is a reflection of Josie’s commitment to social and environmental responsibility."

If you've ever dabbled in a bit of Units 3&4 Business Management, I'd pop this beauty brand in the examples bank for those infamous ethical and social responsibility q's. It was only a matter of time before I'd somehow weasel makeup into a VCAA examination. Gotcha. Seriously though, this little brand-blurb had me impressed. A model, actress and entrepreneur? Here I am lying in bed contemplating what I will do with my life now that I've exhausted all 6 seasons of Sex and The City and made my way through a packet of Dorritos. Josie, if I was wearing a hat I would take it off to you.

With the whole blog revamp in full swing I'm taking some mini-post-sagas for a test-drive. BRANDED will involve focusing the lens on one individual brand at a time, until we've reached World Beauty Brand Domination. Hopefully they are some new(ish), sometimes underestimated or unheard of brands in the industry. Or who knows, maybe I'll feature a Tim Tams edition. That new coffee flavour though - lush

The crux of Josie Maran as a brand is all about "luxury without consequence". The star of the show is of course, argan oil, and is incorporated into every single product. Seriously. There is even argan oil in the mascara.  

Fun fact: Argan oil comes from a plant called Argan. Mind-blowing, I know. The catch, however, is that Argan doesn't 'mature' or become ripe enough to start all that oil extraction until the plant reaches 14 years of age. Practically plant puberty. That's why argan oil is actually quite precious, and a whole lot of love goes into transforming the plant into these products, which I think is pretty cool. 

I'm no dermatologist, but in the most simplistic terms, argan oil is a sort of all-in-one product that can keep your tresses shiny, skin smooth, stretch-marks at bay and lips crack-free. Be right back, I think I might just go and bathe in it. So when Josie decided to chuck a whole heap of it into not only her skincare, but her makeup too, it got a lot of people excited. I for one am all aboard the argan train. 

The products:
Though there are many more where these came from, I have managed to sample a few of Josie Maran's stellar performers. 

The Coconut Watercolour Cheek Gelée:
Hold up. It's not just argan-infused. Now we're talking coconut water and vitamin E as well, all mixed together into a sort of bouncy gel consistency, placed in a quaint pot and labeled a blush. I love how nourishing yet light this is on the skin. Don't even think about getting brushes involved because all you need is your own bare hands to pat a bit of this onto the apples of your cheeks. Because of its creamy texture, it is one of those au natural numbers that sort of replicates that look that I get when Vance Joy enters the room.* It is the epitome of summer makeup, and would be the perfect beach bag accompaniment...if we were not in Autumn right now.

The Argan Enlighten Illuminator:
I sure do love a bit of glow. As far as liquid illuminators go, this one hits the nail on the head. It's quite a thick consistency which allows for accurate application on the cheekbones. I find with a lot of too-liquidy liquid illuminators, they add only a slight sheen rather than an impressive pop. It's a stunning, warm, golden shade that I can see suiting just about any any skin tone. Straight to the makeup bag you go.

The Coconut Watercolour Eyeshadow:
Now this one is confusing, even for those who think they've seen it all when it comes to beauty. We've got a coconut water and argan oil infused liquid in a dropper bottle and you're telling me it is an eyeshadow. How? Spoiler alert: despite the dropper bottle facade, this one actually has a nifty little doe foot applicator which makes a little more sense. I thought this prod had a lot of potential based on the concept and colour. But I've learnt that swatches can be deceiving. I just don't think liquid eyeshadows are a good idea full stop, especially for those with oily eyelids. This one was patchy from the application get-go, and was a bit of a pain in the ass to apply if I am being 100% honest. It definitely left a sort of sheen on the lids - more so in the greasy way than the good way. Despite wanting to love this, I can't say I'm totally enthralled just yet, but will definitely have another play around with it. To be continued.

The Argan Black Oil Mascara:
Gotta say this one is a favourite. I think I am just biased when it comes to mascaras anyway, because they are hands down my fave realm of makeup. This mascara sets out to be ultra-black and conditioning, and I can definitely confirm both of those properties. Only downside: it is a slight struggle when removal time rolls around. That ultra-blackness hangs out under the eyes for an extra day than desired. However, I am not letting that stop me. PS. How gorgeous is the packaging?

100% Pure Argan Oil Light:
This is the showstopper for me. A few drops onto your palms, massaged into clean skin just before going to bed can work wonders. Oils are all about injecting concentrated moisture into your skin. For daytime use, you could even mix a bit of this into your regular moisturiser for that little bit of extra TLC. The scent is not too overpowering like certain oils, and the texture is not overly greasy either. Just right. 

*This doesn't happen very frequently. This happens never. 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Trove | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig