Monday, 6 June 2016

The Beauty Blender dupe


When I was younger, I used to wriggle my little hands into my Mum's makeup bag and pull out her quintessential Covergirl Aquasmooth Compact Foundation. To this day, she religiously applies it every morning, with a sponge. She is a faithful devotee to the sponge application method, and refuses to even glance at a brush...

I've always looked at sponges as outmoded bacteria harbourers that leave behind stark lines and turn everything into a kind of geometric Gotye Somebody That I Used To Know situation. Yet, even though I am spectacularly late to the party, I decided to give a Beauty Blender esque sponge a go. Why not?

The Manicare Precision Sponge is a comfortable $9.29 compared to the $26.50 Beauty Blender. Almost $30 for a squishy, pink tear drop? I don't think so. This one is also a much more useful shape. It is nicely rounded, yet also has grooves and a pointed tip designed to make intricate spots on your face easy to manoeuvre.

When it comes to the whole sponge vs brush debate, I'd have to meet somewhere halfway. Using the Manicare sponge was sans fuss, simple, and left a gloriously dewy, streak-free base. I was pleasantly surprised. However, my Real Techniques Buffing Brush is not going anywhere. Brushes undeniably last a lot longer, and come with that sense of pro-artistry. "I am Picasso. My face is my canvass." These are the mantras for one with a brush in hand.

Perks of both methods in mind, the verdict is: if you are on the go, in holiday mode, or simply refuse to affiliate with brushes, the Manicare sponge is your perfect match.

Quick tip: For that extra glowy effect, dampen your beauty sponge before applying foundation. Also, never forget to massage a few drops of baby shampoo in and give it a good clean. I'd tell you how frequently to do this but would be promoting double standards. Woops.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Trove | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig