Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Smashbox Photofinish Foundation Primer Light

"An award-winning oil-free primer that controls the look of shine and oil whilst extending the wear of your makeup. The revolutionary formula is infused with a blend of vitamins, peptides and antioxidants to absorb oil and mattify skin, whilst light diffusers minimise the appearance of imperfections." 






















Is it a crime not to prime?

According to beauty extraordinaire, Napoleon Perdis, skipping the step of primer is akin to felony. If that's the case, I should have been locked up years ago. I'm not entirely sure if it's plain old laziness or a genuine disbelief in the results of priming. Maybe I just enjoy living life on the edge. Call me a fugitive, because I've been evading primer for as long as I can remember. 


That was until recently.

Midway through a magazine read, I began to gain a whole new appreciation of primers and their purpose. Following years of eye-rolling and downright dismissal, I realised what I hadn't realised before and what many of my fellow lawbreakers failed to realise also. By applying a primer to your skin, you are putting down a protective layer of shielding between face and product. It's pretty satisfying to think that in the sandwich of your foundation and your epidermal layer, there's something non-greasy and antioxidant-filled to be putting up a fight and preventing the clogging of pores. You're also creating a smooth, fresh canvas for that product to be blended upon. It's like applying a base polish on your nails, or prepping your coffee table for a new paint job. The surface of your skin needs a little help too. Once you've sanded it down with a plethora of exfoliants, something needs to be holding down fort. This will make it less likely for your foundation to throw a hissy fit around midday and evaporate off your face by late arvo.

The problem was, I'd been testing out all the wrong stuff. Highly fragranced, gimmicky lower-end products that had little impact other than genuine disillusionment.

This is where the Smashbox Photofinish Primer Light comes right on in. I'd shove you into the Smashbox stand and drop one of these in your basket any day of the week. A simple, clean and beneficial product that just gets on with the job at hand. No muss, no fuss. The silicone texture feels like a dream on the skin, serving as a reminder that you are not just adding down another layer of moisturiser. Smashbox has spent less time on the smoke and mirrors, and more on acing the brief: 'make me a primer that locks my base on, without letting it muck about with my skin.'

Although I'm still trialling this whole new outlook on prime time, I'd have to give this particular prod a huge thumbs up.

Who knows, Napoleon Perdis himself might even let you out on bail after converting to this underrated and oft-overlooked step in your routine.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Trove | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig